Pages

Thursday

Lizzies (fruitcake cookies)

I have been looking for a satisfactory fruitcake cookie for decades, not knowing the name Lizzies. These are exactly what I have been looking for. Yum.

Even if you do not like fruitcake, please try them.

1 pound golden raisins
1/2 cup bourbon
1/4 cup sweet butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 pound pecan pieces
1 1/2 pounds candied fruit
or 1/2 pound citron, diced and 1 pound candied cherries, diced. (0riginal recipe)

Soak raisins in bourbon for at least one hour to plump. Cream butter and beat in sugar. Add eggs, beating well. Sift flour with baking soda and spices and add to butter midture. Add drained raisins, nuts and fruit. Drop by teaspoonfuls ont buttered cookie sheets.

Bake at 325 degrees for about 15 minutes. Store in airtight containers. Cookies freeze well.

Makes 8 to 10 dozen.

Notes: I used 6 oz of regular seedless raisins and 10 oz of golden raisins and I soaked them overnight in Jack Daniels. I used about a pound of candied fruit mix and about 3/4 of a pound bag of pecan pieces, because I didn't think that the little bit of batter would cover the amounts given. It would have, but I liked the texture of the ones I made. I used two different scoops the tiny scoop (1 tsp) and the 1 1/2 scoop and liked both sizes. Of course, adjust times for baking and for your oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment